Artist Newsletter - Artists Stories * Look this up *
Positive energy > STAY CURIOUS as an artist, you never know what is around the corner
Being the person you want to be:
- Reputation management
- Understanding your power and influence
- Living your values
- Taking control - (sending an email, taking the first step)
CONGRUENCE AND PRESENCE
It is easier to be congruent today…
Behaviour - OUTER SELF
Complacency Choices we make
Personality & preference
Values & beliefs - DEEP SELF
Sense of self identity
^^Burying the two together^^
Congruence - requires a clear sense of who I am :
- real, genuine, touch
- knowing what you feel - physically and emotionally
- it’s not easy
- without congruence, it is very hard to be helpful
Presence - bringing your talents out of you
Think about your presence when you walk into a room
What impact do you want to have?
- PAST PRESENCE - credibility
- derives from our work and life
- who’s influenced us
- PRESENT PRESENCE - the way that you appear
- how we handle our ‘visible’ identities
- FUTURE PRESENCE - others interest in us
- anticipated future impact
- references, creating your presence
Skills and abilities
- Being fully present means intervening with conviction
Reputation affects what we do
- Understanding or unearthing our reputation, no matter how hard it is, will give us back control, we can then begin to do something about it.
Congruence > environment > reputation
WHO ARE YOUR KEY PEOPLE:
- Bob and Jill, Lisa (important tutors)
- Employers (my boss)
- Parents and friends and family (to support you)
- Future contacts (always treat future possible contacts with respect - links back to your presence when you walk in the room, act how you would like to be treated)
What is my reputation? (Laura on my course answered this question as to what my reputation was and what I offer the course and others)
It was obviously a compliment being told I was committed and polite and motivated - once you know your strengths I think it is important to use them and be confident as an artist. A personal one of mine is to be polite and respect others how you would want to be treated, I want people to feel comfortable in my presence, and not to feel negative, but generally happy, and positive - as if I brought a negative vibe to a place or a group of people this would therefore affect my reputation, and future opportunities.
> how you walk into a room, the way you dress, is is appropriate, do you give off the right vibe?
> the way you speak, properly, no swearing to be polite
There are specific skills and abilities associated with presence:
1. Seeing and being respectful of where the others are at all times; scanning for clues and asking when unsure > cats whiskers > feel and envronment when unsure
2. Making good connections with others and helping others do the same - networking is a lifeblood of what we do in today’s world
3. Attending to one’s own experience of feelings, sensations, and thoughts and selectively sharing them - respond to other people.
4. Being aware of one’s intentions at any moment; being clear about the priorities of the work.
Your words impact on people
*THINK ABOUT BOTH SIDES*
This was our last session with Lee, which I was quite disappointed! Since having weekly sessions with Lee, I know exactly how to approach my future and what skills I have and what skills I need to learn further. Lee has made me realise and grasp what I want in life and how I am going to achieve this. I have learnt so much since the sessions and feel confident in myself to be a successful artist. I know that from these sessions that I will keep in touch with Lee and let her know how I am doing.